Understanding hair loss isn’t something you think of, unless you are losing your hair. At Bravadas we help people with this on a daily basis. As with most things, educating yourself can give you more control in unfamiliar and scary situation. There are many different things that can contribute to or cause hair loss. Below we will touch on some of the most important things you need to know to understand why you are losing your hair.
- Illness or major medical procedures. This the most common reason for hair loss among women. When going through something like this it can cause such physical, mental, and emotional stress that you can lose large amounts of hair quite quickly. The good news about this kind of hair loss is usually the hair will grow back in as it was before. Losing their hair is also not the first thing on someone’s mind when they have just been told they have cancer. As the shock wears off, and they are usually informed that they need to buy a wig in advance. Local doctors and nurses send us new clients because they know we will take great care of them.
- Medication. Unfortunately medication has become a common part of everyday life for most adults, and many of them cause hair loss. Some medications are necessary, but they can still have adverse effects. We don’t have a comprehensive list of all medications that cause hair loss, but do know the a few of the most common. Medicines that are used in chemotherapy, most antidepressants, some anticoagulants (or blood thinning medication), birth control pills, and any type of hormone replacement drugs can cause hair loss. The good new is that hair loss due to any of these should improve after discontinuing the medication.
- Pregnancy. When some women become pregnant the change in their hormones can cause accelerated natural hair loss. The amount of hair loss can be light or heavy. It’s always a good idea to consult your physician if you feel that the amount of hair you are losing is not normal. This is usually temporary and will go away when the pregnancy is over. In some cases it can take up to six months for your hair to fully recover from pregnancy.
- Hair Care. In some cases the way you treat your hair can lead to hair loss. Chemical treatments, curling irons, flat irons, and over processing can damage hair enough to cause your hair to start falling out. Once the hair follicle is damaged it cannot produce new hair. This isn’t to imply you shouldn’t visit a salon, but you do need to be aware of the risk involved in going too often. Stay away from box color, and home remedies. Always visit a professional stylist when putting chemicals on your hair.
- Genetics. Male and female-pattern baldness is the most common natural source of hair loss. Understanding hair loss that is genetic, requires understanding how your body works at a cellular level. The pattern can vary for both, but in men usually starts with a receding hair-line. In women the pattern is more spotty all over. This type of hair loss will not correct itself. The easiest way to handle it is to buy a wig.
While all the causes and types of hair loss were covered here, hopefully this overview was enough to help begin to educate yourself on the topic. Understanding hair loss can be difficult. At Bravadas we have a highly trained staff, who deal with these questions daily. We have clients going currently going through all of the above. No question is ever to small to ask, so feel free to give us a call, or just drop by our location for personal assistance.